22 September 2010

Girls & Education (Tove)


"I was about 9 year old when I started reading English at school. As I guess everyone does when you’re that age, we sang songs for children in English to learn the language better. I especially remember one song that went like this:

Do you like my car?
Yes sir!
Do you like my car?
Yes sir, yes sir!
Do you like my car?
Yes, sir, it’s a beautiful car!

Do you like my dress?
Yes miss!
Do you like my dress?
Yes miss, yes miss!
Do you like my dress?
Yes, miss, it’s a beautiful dress!

Quite silly and pointless song and I didn’t really thought of the lyrics until I got older. What I really love with being a girl in 2010 is that nowadays it’s OK for me to have a car and it’s ok for me to ask: do you like my car?

Though, still it’s not really ok for a boy to have a dress and ask: do you like my dress? But hopefully we get there someday."
Tove, YSAFE Steering Committee member

No comments: